day dreams

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible. ~T.E. Lawrence

5.11.2008

O to be outdoors

'Round these parts it started raining Wednesday and stopped sometime while I was sleeping early Saturday morning. Perfect timing, as I was planning a hike for Saturday. So we headed to a state park, inquired if there were any 6-mile trails, to which we got a "well, we've got a 1-mile out and back, a 2-mile out and back, a 3-mile out and back, and a 13-mile loop." Instantly, we knew we'd be doing the loop, so we grabbed our packs from the truck and headed out. We only lost the trail twice and this is what I figured out:

A 13-mile hike will make your calves so tight the next day you won't be able to balance.

Ticks are abundant in these parts, but still not as annoying as mosquitoes.

I can down two cheeseburgers, chips, potato salad and beer without getting sick if I'm hungry enough.

I can spot a blue or yellow trail marker from one-half mile and will be able to tell you where we're supposed to go, thus causing you to wonder at my navigation ability.

I genuinely have no idea what direction I am going without mountains.

Now, it's raining again and probably won't stop until tomorrow afternoon. I'm glad to have spent the whole day outdoors while I had the chance.

Wish you were all here to have gone with us!

2 Comments:

Blogger Esprit said...

I was outside as well, mowing the lawn.

I may not have hiked along trails, but I am certain I got a mile or two of walking in during the nearly hour and half it took to push the mower up and down hills that is called a yard. Though, hiking sounds a bit more enjoyable. ;)

5:43 PM  
Blogger AMY said...

i think i changed my mind and want to run the 5k but still train for a 10k so i can do really good. i would like to finish with at least 8 min. miles. plus there are more people from church running the 5k and we want to make t-shirts and it would be more fun to run the same course. hope that is okay with you.

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home