day dreams

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible. ~T.E. Lawrence

5.02.2007

Love Story

I decided on more poetry this time. This is a poem I wrote for and read at my friend Robyn's wedding. Robyn has been a close friend since we were in the third grade. We played soccer together growing up, played in the woods behind her house (and ours) as elementary school kids, attended high school dances together, and eventually she went to college with my sister. She asked me to write something for her and Chad's wedding, and this is the result. They dated in high school, broke up when they went to different colleges, but then met up again a few years after college. Now, they are married.

Their wedding was the first time I publicly read anything I'd written, so I was nervous and feared I might forget how to read. That didn't happen, but my tongue did go numb (a sure sign of nervousness for me). If you draw nothing more from this poem, draw this: Love is more often a choice, a decision, than anything else. That is the lesson I have been learning, and not just about loving people, but about loving God.

Love Story
(written for Chad and Robyn on their wedding day)

Love was young once.
It was innocent, youthful, extraneous.
Until it faded and was lost.

Love acted elusive for a time.
The lovers said it was unsought, but hearts want what hearts want.
And love appeared anew, green like the springtime.

This love was welcomed.
It was steadying and informed.
This love was familiar, and so nurtured.

Nurtured, love grows complete.
It frustrates and rewards.
Love is effortless, yet demanding.

This love is a choice –
Ripe, pursued and lasting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home