day dreams

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible. ~T.E. Lawrence

12.09.2007

Cafe a la Krishnan

When I lived in Utah, the Krishnans taught me how to enjoy Indian coffee. Ramesh taught me exactly how to grind the beans; Elaine told me how long to microwave the milk; and someone suggested how much sugar made the right mix. But then I moved away and I didn't have the right equipment for Indian coffee. Until, that is, the Krishnans went to India, I housesat for them, and by way of thank you's they brought me back my own Indian coffee pot.

Now, every Saturday morning, I wake up and boil a pot of water, grind some coffee beans just so, and listen as the coffee drips into the catch. (Yes, it's often so quiet in my apartment Saturday mornings that I can hear it dripping.) While it's dripping, I microwave some milk in the Longaberger mug Elaine gave me to remember her family by. A few minutes later, I add the coffee and some sugar and whirl.

Then I sit on my couch under a fleece blanket, holding the warm mug with both hands, and remember the good times, my friends in Utah, and the place I felt most like I could be me.

Here are some of my favorite memories:
--Art walks with reluctant friends. You know you loved it, Pete.
--Zombie movies. (Thank you, Mat.) Jesse was the reason we went, right?
--Ryan driving me home when I was too afraid to while Leah Z and siblings followed in another car. And me being ashamed that I thought the roads were too snowy/icy while the Krishnan-Zetterholms were running errands "in town."
--Slack lining at Pete & Amy's wedding
--Pete & Amy's wedding
--When I was out of shape and Brett made me run the Ogden Exercise Trail with him. That was the day I swore in front of him for the first time.
--Fireworks at Huntsville Park on the Fourth of July

To everyone I love in Utah...

4 Comments:

Blogger Mat said...

Carrie! We were just talking about you at the coffee shop and that you need to come out here! We miss you so much. PS I'm sending you a postcard from NYC soon!

8:53 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

He Carrie! I miss Utah as well! You should call my mom and have her tell you a story from Last Friday about Nate & his car. :) Just another Krishnan episode for you. And I LOVE 4th of July fireworks... we are actually planning a trip to be out there on the 4th... you should come! I hope you are doing well, even if you are in OH & not Utah. :)

Blessings,
L

9:40 AM  
Blogger AMY said...

we love you too! we haven't been slack lining since august. i still have a guest room any time you need it! it even has a few new decorations.

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only do we love you, but we are still praying for you and looking forward to your next visit, (which probably should be forever long!)....Terry

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home